Thursday 1 September 2016

New York City - Settling in OK?

When the clock struck midnight on 1st Jan 2016, I made a resolution to move away from home for a while - to experience something new. (I am usually not a resolution kind of person. Whenever someone asks me what my New Year resolution is, I say: To be happy!). However, in 2016, I made one, and I got it!

I should be thrilled - I know, but somehow I do not and did not feel as excited as I felt when I was going to the UK to pursue my degree. I was 19 when I left home to the UK for 3 years - I was over the top - exhilarated! I loved every minute of the days before flying off and of the days when I was there.

This time though, I was questioning my decision to the very day I was flying off! Well it's too late now, I am already here in the Big Apple (and for almost a week)!

Empire State

Times Square


Where's John? lol
In the Times Square subway station

I think I might hide here...lol
Tribeca area
Washington Square Park
Grand Central Station

Grand Central Market

My fav place...lol


Central Park

The Metropolitan Museum

Manus x Machina (for fashion lovers)
Brooklyn Bridge

View of Downtown Manhattan
It is an exciting city - a place everyone should visit for sure. It is diverse and huge! It can be a bit overwhelming though.

About living here - I don't think it suits my personality and I definitely do not suit New York's personality! Lol... but I foresee a fun and very educational experience for me. I am also very grateful to be given this opportunity! Thank you!!

A few things about New York (and the US) for now - I am sure there will be more added to the list:

  1. Some of the subways do not have maps - WTF! Isn't that the basic! You will have to look at each stop to make sure you do not miss your stop.
  2. Processed and GMO foods are so so common here - unlike in Asia and Europe. No wonder the fight against GMO is big here.
  3. There is a coffee culture here, but it is so hard to find a cosy coffee shop where I can just chill! I don't want a cafe where I feel I have to rush ALL THE TIME!
  4. When crossing the wide roads, even when the light is green for pedestrians to walk, there are cars still moving - hence making me run like a maniac! - WHY?! #pleasehelpmeouthere
  5. Why is it sooooooo expensive to fly internally within the US? A flight from NY to New Orleans costs USD$300! (You can fly London to Barcelona for just 30-40 pounds!) Again, please help me out here!!
  6. There are many parks around - love it!
  7. The organisation of the streets is amazing, you will know exactly which direction you are headed to. Streets run from East to West (the higher the street number - the more north you are); Avenues run from North to South (the smaller the avenue number, the more east you are).
  8. It's a huge city and you are bound to discover something new everyday.
  9. People - they are nice, but not as warm and friendly, as I'd wish.. hehe
Anyways, we'll see after a few more months perhaps? I will blog more about experiences here as my time here progresses.

Adios amigos! xx



No comments :

Post a Comment