Thursday 16 June 2016

A Hedonist Paradise: Dubai

Dubai..... "If I live here, I would have committed suicide by now...." my internal thought.

It's not a bad place. It really isn't. I just found it:
1) Highly superficial
2) Most entertainment = being in a mall. Shopping - go to a mall. Ski - go to a mall. Aquarium - a mall!! (I am not a 'mall person'!) - understand this is the case with most countries with soaring temperatures
3) The level of wealth 'paraded' is beyond my comprehension! I mean you would think that of Monte Carlo, St. Tropez, or Belgravia, but no, Dubai surpasses them by leaps and bounds (and prices are exorbitant!)
4) It felt like everyone is chasing for that 'pot of gold': luxury, and extreme pleasure, to the point that there is no 'soul' left (Hence, why I might have killed myself..lol. Well, I guess it is not for me!)

Most parts of Dubai doesn't feel like you are in the Middle East. It feels like you are in a developed country. 

In the Dubai Mall, in Downtown Dubai

Burj Khalifa

In Atlantis, The Palm


In order to feel the 'soul' of Dubai (or what is left of it), spend more time at Deira Creek or Bur Dubai.

Shop and wander around the souks (markets): Gold Souk, Spice Souk and take a boat across the Deira Creek to the Old Souk. 

The Spice Souk and Gold Souk area, in Deira Creek
One other thing everyone must do is the Desert Safari. There are many desert safari operators, offering the same deals. The operator will pick you from your hotel in the evening and take you to the desert for a 'real-life roller coaster ride'. The safari ends with dinner and belly dancing performances. 

The best part of the safari is the 'real-life roller coaster ride'. It is extremely exhilarating! 

The desert

The 'roller coaster'


For those who are prone to car-sickness, I suggest you bring a bag along :S

I am not prone to car-sickness, but at one point I felt like puking (I didn't, thankfully!). And at some points, I felt like the jeep could have overturned! What a great rush of adrenaline! :D



You can also go for a camel ride before dinner

Dubai is also known for its shopping. It is! There is a vast variety of options and brands: British brands, European brands, American brands, Canadian brands, you name it, they have it! However, it is so expensive - isn't Dubai duty-free? It is probably cheaper to shop in the UK! For example, my regular perfume, which usually costs less than 100 Euros, costs 150 Euros in Dubai! I wonder how the locals survive!

Regardless of my feelings for this place, I am glad I spent some time here. I learnt something about myself. I have always wanted to have that much wealth and luxury. But after seeing it in Dubai, I don't think I can handle it and it will not make me happy. I guess I just liked the idea of it.
Dubai is not a place I will revisit. It doesn't suit me, or I don't suit it! (Sorry Dubai-ans and Dubai - lovers).

Bye Dubai. I will probably only see you at the airport from now on! Hahaha ....



No comments :

Post a Comment