Saturday 21 May 2016

Portuguese Voyage - Stop 1: Porto (Day 2) - Being Artsy and a KL-loving Portuguese!

I love art museums. I try to go to at least one in any city. I used to be crazy and made sure I went to ALL art museums in the city I was at - then I used to get sooo stressed out if I was running out of time! Then I thought: "FTS, I can always revisit the city!" (especially if I love the city!)

I went to the Museu Serralves - it is a contemporary art museum located in a very elegant neighbourhood (near Lordelo do Ouro). The area is so different from historical Porto. Seems like the rich people live there...lol. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures, but I found this image online to give you an idea.

The neighbourhood around Serralves (reminded me of some parts in Vancouver)
Before heading to the Museum, I took the metro from Sao Bento station to Casa da Música, Porto's concert hall. You can take a tour of it, but I opted not to. I spent some time there, then took a bus 502 to Museu Serralves.
(You can get a day card to use any transport within the Porto urban area - it is ~5 Euros. There are a few options you can choose from and can be bought at the metro station)

As stated earlier, Serralves is a contemporary art museum - and with contemporary art, it is an acquired taste.. lol. I like it because it makes me imagine what the artist is trying to convey, but sometimes, I just can't figure it out, "What is the artist trying to tell me!" Some of the pieces are just BIZARRE!

When I told my Airbnb host of my plan to go to the Serralves, she said, "Wow, it is very nice. The garden is beautiful!" I did enjoy the garden. It had some funky sculptures, like a huge spade, and beautiful floral surroundings (like roses and more).



I find most Westerners love gardens compared to those from the tropics - well, I guess there is not much of it throughout the year, and when spring/ summer finally arrives, they take full advantage of the sun, gardens, flowers, beach, etc. Well, it's human nature I guess, we appreciate things when they are scarce and take for granted things we have in abundance - sad isn't it.  

After a few hours at the museum, I walked down the elegant neighbourhood towards the Foz do Duoro. It is about a 20-30 minute walk. I love these long walks because I get to fully absorb the surroundings, the city and walk through the little charming rows of shops - quintessentially European! 

It was FREEZING at the Foz near the lighthouse (and the castle nearby). I was looking at the vast Atlantic Ocean but the winds were not welcoming. The winds were gushing! It was sooooo cold I did not take any pictures (I think my fingers were frozen! lol)

After a VERY short while, I decided to head to the row of shops behind to keep me warm!
I went to a quaint little boutique selling clothes and fashion accessories. When I saw the clothes, I decided to buy something to keep me warm! (The first time I bought something impulsively because of the weather!) - a thin silk cashmere body-hugging dress. Although it is a bit thin, it keeps me warm. It can also double up as a top and worn with leggings or a skirt (just like I do to the office sometimes - yes the temperature in my office is like in Alaska!).
The owner of the boutique is an older Portuguese lady who is friendly and helpful. She asked me where I am from. When I replied Malaysia, she said Malacca! lol (They know us Malaysians cause of history!) Then I explained to her that Malacca is in Malaysia, but I am from Kuala Lumpur. 

"Kuala Lumpur!! That's my son's favourite city!!" she exclaimed... SCOREEEE - KL 1 (made me so proud! :D)
She told me her son is a pilot for Tap Portugal and he always tells her his favourite city is KL and she wants to visit... She also showed me a picture of his son and wife - such a good-looking couple!

She recommend to have dinner at Matosinhos - known for the seafood restaurants. She offered to call a cab, but I declined politely and told her I will take the bus. (Tão amigável!)

At Matosinhos, I walked into a random restaurant facing the ocean. I had the fresh grilled salmon. When the fish is fresh, it would taste good regardless of the preparation! 
(I am so sorry, but somehow, I did not take any pictures this time.... sorrrrryyyyyy!!!)

What I learnt:
1) Most people are nice.... (Always see the positive in people than suspecting the negative)
2) The Portuguese know Malaysia (or Malacca) - the boutique owner is not the only one, there were other people I met who ALL knew of my beautiful land!
3) Something to add on about Portugeuse dining: the food is SALTY!! (This was not the only restaurant, in fact, almost everything I ordered was salty! Makes me wonder: do they have high blood pressure? :S)


I know I said I am not a fan of long blogs/ articles... but...... :SSSSSS  Anyways... see ya later!!


No comments :

Post a Comment